Michael and I spent part of Memorial Day weekend at the lake with my dad. We always enjoy getting away for the weekend. It is a small private fishing lake so instead of jet-skis or the like there are just little fishing boats puttering around. It's all about the fish - mainly crappie and bass. I opted not to actually fish this time but Michael did and helped provide Saturday's dinner. There are a lot of great things about going to the lake - sleeping in, quiet, long walks, SUN, etc. However, the highlight for me is always breakfast. I am a breakfast lover and anyone who knows me well knows this to be true. I could eat breakfast any time of the day and, in fact, I have to eat it when I wake up regardless of what time it is. There is a clubhouse at the lake and a precious Christian couple who help take care of the property. The lady is a DIVINE cook and makes some of the most incredible breakfast dishes that you have ever tasted in your life. I'm serious about this - the breakfast is to die for! I always say that I don't care if I catch fish or not so long as I get to eat breakfast. This weekend was no exception but she served a blueberry coffee cake that was unlike anything I have ever tasted before. I requested the recipe and found out it is from Paula Deen - which explains why it was so delicious (She never spares butter, sugar, cream, etc. when she is cooking).
All of that to say that if you are ever in need for a yummy breakfast recipe ... this
Country Blueberry Coffee Cake is sure to be a winner. I don't have a picture of it just yet but am planning to make it when
Courtney and Charlotte come to visit next week so maybe I can capture it then.
Granite Steps Country Blueberry Coffee Cake:Recipe Courtesy Paula Deen
½ cup packed light brown sugar (make take more)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (add more if needed)
1 (12 oz) can buttermilk biscuits
1 stick butter, melted (sometimes a little more)
1 cup quick-cooking rolling oats
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
½ cup sugar
Preheat oven to 375.
Generously grease 9-inch square baking dish.
If using fresh blueberries, slowly heat the blueberries and ½ cup sugar in a pan until they are soft. Stir frequently.
In a small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
Separate biscuit dough and cut each one into quarters. Dip each piece in melted butter and then in brown sugar mixture. Arrange in single layer in baking dish.
Sprinkle ½ cup of the oats
Spoon blueberries and some of the juice (I don’t use it all) over the oats and biscuits.
Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of oats.
Drizzle remaining melted butter over top.
Bake 20 minutes or until cake is golden brown. Cool 20 minutes. Serve warm.
All I have to say is YUM! I will be making this soon...
ReplyDelete