Sunday, September 30, 2007

Just Three Years Ago

September 26, 2004 - It was just three years ago that I was a new student at DTS to have a last minute co-birthday party with a guy named Michael (who I barely even knew). I can still remember running into him in the cafeteria on campus and having him write his name and number in my day planner so that we could work out the details. I remember telling my mom about Michael - he seems to be a nice guy - he is from California - he is President of the student body - he wears "really cool glasses" (which he happened not to wear that night) - and he has invited a bunch of his friends (who I don't know) to show up as well. Literally, that is all I knew. I later found out that he was already scheming to get my attention and had enlisted his roommates in the investigation as well. The picture to the right was taken by one of those roommates that very night - a picture of two almost strangers celebrating what would be the first of a lifetime of birthdays spent together.

By September 2005 our lives had drastically changed - We had been engaged just a few months and the wedding bells were fast approaching. We were continuing our studies at DTS and Michael was working there as well. I was busy working at a non-profit organization from 9-5 and planning our wedding 24-7. We were house hunting and beginning the wedding shower whirlwind. If I remember correctly, this picture is from our engagement shower.

September 2006 was much more relaxed - Thank you notes had all been sent, we were settled in our home and Michael had finished a total remodel in two of our bathrooms. He was still working at DTS but planning to join me in late October at the non-profit organization. Michael was in his last semester of classes at DTS (yea!!!!) and I was enjoying a much need hiatus from classes. Michael's dad had business trip to Dallas just a few days before our birthdays and took this picture during his visit.

And now ... September 2007. We are preparing for our 2nd wedding anniversary in November. We have a little and (mostly) well-behaved dog named Zoe. I am working part time and enjoying being back in school. Michael has settled in to his new appraisal job. All in all, life is good. We just finished celebrating our birthdays this past week and what better way to celebrate than with lots of good food? :)

Dinner at Houston's - home to the BEST veggie burger ... ever!

I am a total sucker for self-portrait pictures ... although I'm not that good at taking them. The one below is after I manged to accidentally stomp on Michael's foot (which I thought was the curb) with my 3-inch platform shoes. Oops! :)

Birthday dinner with my dad - at a little Italian restaurant. Yea for two free birthday desserts!!!

And finally ... September 26, 2007 ... Michael's 30th birthday dinner at Breadwinner's. What better way to celebrate than with our friends (who are practically family) from California (who now live in Dallas).


I realize that three years is not much time but in that brief period our lives have dramatically changed. Neither of us would have predicted it but we are both incredibly thankful for all that the Lord has done! Thanks to all of you who have helped make these past three years such a joy. I can honestly say that they have been the best years of my entire life. I was telling Michael the other night how I continue to be amazed at who he is and what a tremendous blessing he continues to be in my life. Every day gets better and better.

I can only imagine what the next three years will bring ...

amber



3 comments:

  1. love the new post and all the pics! it's funny how much and what can happen in 3 years. so glad things are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber I think you are the best thing that has happen to Michael in the last 30 years. God is good...all the time. Love you guys! I am glad to hear that your birthdays were great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your updates! I'm glad you are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete